Friday, September 14, 2007

Uncontrolled Vocabulary #12 - Oops

Uncontrolled Vocabulary #12 is now available for download. Here's a direct link to the mp3.

Many of us had audio problems on this call. My apologies in advance for both the spotty sound quality and the repeated digressions toward discussing sound problems. I'll provide Talkshoe some feedback and see what we can do to improve that situation.

You can subscribe to the show via the podcast feed (now available at the iTunes Music Store): http://recordings.talkshoe.com/rss38665.xml

On the call:

Greg Schwartz, Louisville Free Public Library
Laura Carscaddon, University of Arizona
Julian Clark, Georgetown University Law Library
Connie Crosby, Toronto law librarian
Laura Crossett, Park County (WY) Library System
Ryan Deschamps, Halifax Public Library
Sheila Kearns (whose info we'll get next time!)
Peter McCracken, Serials Solutions

Links to the show topics:

1. More on Darien Library

2. 10 Reasons Why eBooks Suck (RobNeville.net)

3. Libraries Connect Communities: Public Library Funding & Technology Access Study 2006-2007 Report (ALA.org)
Despite Demand, Libraries Won't Add PCs (AP via Google)
ALA study: public library funding & technology access (librarian.net)

4. Facebook 'costs businesses dear' (BBC News)

5. Free Speech Sometimes Trumps Copyright (Wired)

6. A Day to Remember, A Day to Act (Christopher S. Penn)

7. Creating the 21st Century Library (In These Times)

Homework assignment to be read for next week's discussion: Information Policy for the Library of Babel

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Hi Greg, I was touched by you mentioning my name on episode 12. I wanted to let you know that I was as mystified by the Wired Free Speech/Copyright story as you. You gave as good a comment on that story as I did. Hate to defer to authority, but if EFF says it's a good thing, that's good enough for me.

You and the others did a great job of soldiering through really bad audio problems. problems. problems.

Mickey Coalwell said...

Dood, I was there for #12 even though I was not VOIPed. (Maybe it was just as well, considering our technical problems.) Why'dja leave me off the list? Greg, I appreciate your keeping the group on track as much as you do. I can tell you from experience that listening to the podcast episode isn't much fun when there's minutes and minutes of personal banter going on. Unless you want to spend time editing before putting up your 'cast, then the best thing is to keep the conversation topic-focused and rolling right along. Best,
Mickey